EDUCATING YOU FOR POSITIVE RESULTS
No one sets out for their commute expecting an accident to happen. You are a safe driver and do your best to follow the rules, stay alert and use your turn signal. You don’t anticipate being involved in an accident, but it can happen. Knowing what to do when you are involved in a crash could help you in the long run.At J. Torrez Law P.C., we help people who have been injured in all types of motor vehicle wrecks as they fight for compensation and accountability. We also strive to promote safe roadway practices and want our clients to know how best to handle scary, unexpected situations.
WHAT TO DO AFTER AN ACCIDENT
The moves you make after a crash may not only impact your case, but can also be imperative to the safety of others and your health.
These are the steps to take after an accident:
- Promote safety: Check on other passengers and parties to see if any serious injuries occurred. Call for an ambulance and assistance. If possible, move the vehicles to the side of the road or set up flares or reflectors to alert other motorists.
- Call the police: Notify law enforcement of the accident. They can make a record of the incident and also come to the scene to assist in promoting safety.
- Document the scene: Take pictures of the vehicles from different angles and all damage to property. Photograph injuries as well.
- Catalog all pertinent information: Take down the names and contact information of the other party, insurance company representatives, adjusters, witnesses and law enforcement or emergency responders. Keep an ongoing record of medical bills, treatments, conversations with doctors and insurance companies.
- Watch what you say: Be careful with your words. Do not apologize, as that can make you seem at fault. Use legal advice when reporting to law enforcement, and do not relay unnecessary details to medical staff, EMT’s or other individuals. Do not post anything on social media or talk about the accident with friends.
- Contact an attorney: Speak with an attorney as soon as possible. A lawyer will advise you on what to say to police, adjusters and other parties.
At J. Torrez Law P.C., we will participate in prerecorded statements with adjusters and are capable of working as translators to assist with language barriers. We also advise our clients to seek medical attention, regardless of how they feel immediately after a crash. Common injuries such as whiplash, may not show symptoms right away.
ADVISING YOU THROUGH EVERY STEP
If you have questions about any of these steps or have been involved in an accident, contact us today. Call our office at 512-480-5995 to set up a consultation with our personal injury lawyer. Located in Austin, we serve individuals throughout Travis, Williamson, Hays, Caldwell, Bastrop and Bexar counties and surrounding areas in Texas.